Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bess Hsu


Bess Hsu Modeling

Bess Hsu - The F'in Bess
From the September, 2010 issue of Import Tuner
By Carter Jung
Photography by Carter Jung

Make Up: Tony Rivero
Stylist: Mack Pholsina
Photo Assistant: Chris Yu
Location: Prestigious Models

Bess Hsu Modeling
In life, few experiences add more to one's character than traveling. Other than a formal education, military experience, or a really good ass-whooping, going to a place and exploring the sights and sounds of a new environment, people, food, and culture leaves an indelible impression that adds depth to one's essence. Hence the term "worldly".

Despite her girlishly young looks, Bess Hsu is a worldly soul. Having grown up across the globe, she's experienced life in ways most of us could never fathom. From getting booted from grade school in Taiwan for rebelliousness, hitchhiking down under in Australia, getting hit on by Tom from Myspace in Hawaii, and climbing a 12,000-foot mountain in California, to experiencing her first snowfall in New York, Bess has done and seen it all. Us? We just want to see some more of her.
Bess Hsu Modeling

According to your bio, you've grown up all over the world-first Taiwan, Australia, then all across the U.S.-were you a military brat?
[Laughs] No, I just love to travel.

How was the transition from Taiwan to Australia?
I lived in the sunshine city of Brisbane, Queensland, and when I first moved, I couldn't really speak English so it was an interesting experience.

Any "Crikey!" moments?
I was really young so I don't remember a lot of stuff but I do remember getting lost a lot. But I was always like 'Whatever, I'll go on an adventure and find my way home." And I did. I hitchhiked a lot, which I shouldn't have done. Even now, in New York City, I hitchhike.

Hitchhike? In Manhattan?
[laughs] Sometimes it's impossible to hail a taxi, so I'll hop in a car instead. I hitchhike the most when I am traveling through small towns, like when I was in Greece and Costa Rica. People always tell me it's not safe, but believe it or not, I meet the greatest people from hitchhiking.

Bess Hsu Modeling
I'll take your word for it. Where in the U.S. did you first move?
I moved to Honolulu, Oahu when I was 14. I love Hawaii-I loved the weather, I loved being able to go to the beach every day after school, and I loved the people. Everyone was very chill.
Bess Hsu Modeling


Did you pick up any island sports?
Before I moved to Hawaii I couldn't even walk in a three-foot pool, but I had to learn how to swim because it would have been such a waste living in Hawaii. My friends taught me how to swim in a pool and I started body boarding, water skiing, snorkeling, and surfing.

Although I suck at it, I love surfing. Are you good?
Not at all, but I absolutely love it. My dream is to meet a shark out in the ocean and successfully escape from it. I wouldn't mind losing a leg or an arm; I'd have a good story to tell.

A hitchhiker whose aspirations include losing a limb-interesting. [laughter] When did you move to the Mainland?
I moved to Santa Barbara, CA, when I was 16. I wanted to go to college in California, so I figured I could use a college prep boarding school instead of 'vacationing' in Hawaii.

Boarding school? Explains a lot.
[laughter] Girls weren't allowed in boys' dorms, so I used to run across the field as fast as I could at 2 a.m., which was when security would go to bed. I would climb up trees and jump in from the window to get to the boys' rooms.

Very Dawson's Creek of you.
[laughter] Yes, I was extremely fit back then.

Was it a strict, convent type of institution or was it lax?
It was definitely strict, we had a lot of rules and curfews. Not to sound cheesy, but I think it was good for my soul. Everyone was required to go on an 'outdoor education' trip every year and after my second day transferring, we all went on an intense backpacking trip to the high Sierra Mountains with my class.

Sounds like a good time . . .
It was traumatizing. [laughter] I didn't shower for 10 days. I had to eat half-cooked rice with bugs in it. I had to climb up a 12,000-foot mountain with a backpack that was half my weight. But again, it was good for my soul.
Nothing builds character like crunchy rice seasoned with insects. [laughter] So it sounds like you made the most of boarding school.

Looking back, they were some of the best times of my life. Our school was small and everyone was there 24-7, so I made some great lifetime friends.






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hot Girls

2leep.com